Primer Día de Clase (day 3 of 27)

First Day of School - September 3 
I reported to the Spanish school at 9AM sharp. The building and garden are immaculately cared for. Certainly, this is a very hospitable environment for learning. The office staff  gave me a warm friendly welcome, every word in Spanish. I expected to meet lots of students and make friends. But, there were 3 students today, including myself. Apparently, this is quiet season.

Maestra Carolina and I, overlooking the garden.

Placement Test - La Prueba
I think I have become accustomed to the super-intense nature of Silicon Valley work culture. Because, for me the funnest part of the first day of classes was the written/oral placement test, prueba, to assess my skill level. Gloria, la maestra, administered the test completely in Spanish. According to her, I did muy bien, advanced level compared to their average student attendee. [Thanks to Profe Lemon, Spanish professor at Ohlone College]. Below shows final question #17 of the 3-page written test, asking for a short written paragraph. Translated to English, it says:


17) Yesterday you were a witness of an accident. Describe it. 


I thought to myself - what a unusual prompt! and I responded in kind. My four line response, translated to English:


Yesterday, I saw (vi) a horrible accident. 
A car and a truck collided (chocaron) at the traffic light (semaforoon 
the main street (calle). There were customers (clientes), who were sitting outside of the cafe. The car injured (herió) a customer.

  • Chocar is the Spanish verb meaning to collide. It is an onomatopoeia - a word that sounds like what it means. 
  • Semaforo is the Spanish noun for traffic light. For EECS readers - recall the word semaphore used for arbitration, as in the traffic light problem. 

Barbed Wire and Glass Slivers
After school, I walked to my homestay house. It is a very pleasant 20 minute walk that provides perspiring exercise. I saw an attractive yet unwelcoming house. Attractive because of the house and the protective wall have matching brick-and-plaster siding. Unwelcoming because of the densely-spaced and knife-size glass slivers installed above the black metal gate, and along the top of the wall. 
The glass slivers appear to be made from broken bottles

I think this property is [near] impenetrable, because there also is chain-link fencing mounted above the brick wall, and barbed wire along the top of that!

MORE POSTS
Next post - Day 4 of 27 AVE MARÍA
Previous post - Day 2 of 27 ESTOY EN MÉXICO

Comments

  1. That is some creative security for that house. The shards of glass I have seen often in El Paso. but chain link on top of that? interesting. I am glad you did well on your placement test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, are you the oldest student in the class? -V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and No. The other student appears to be about the same age as me, maybe a little younger. He's using his vacation days from work for his trip to Cuernavaca.

      Delete
  3. Glad you are enjoying your classes and the delicious food! Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you're enjoying this experience Jane!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment