Golden Anniversary of My First Trip

March16, 2018 is the 50th anniversary of my family's immigration from Taiwan to United States in 1968.


 These are our passport photos. I was a minor, 4yrs old, and required to pose with mom, and my dad had an individual photo. My mom was muy-muy pregnant with my sister, born in April, just 3 weeks after our arrival in Seattle, Washington. This was my very first trip - by airplane, trans-ocean, and one-way! For my sister, this trip was her very first flight, in-utero and in-fuselage. We flew from Taipei Songshan Airport (TSA) to Tokyo Narita (NRT) by China Airlines, then Tokyo to Seattle (SEA) by Northwest Airlines.
Northwest merged with Delta in 2008

The original plan was to settle in Seattle; my dad had a job lined up with Boeing aircraft company. While dad was waiting for a lengthy federal-level security clearance, it rained almost daily, but no paycheck flowed, yet. He was invited to visit an aircraft parts company in Los Angeles, California. He took their job offer, and we packed again and moved, making my second trip, to a suburb of Los Angeles called Sun Valley. So cool, me Jane Sun living in Sun Valley then, and in Sunnyvale now. Believe in destiny.


My first teddy bear, brought along from Taiwan

MORE POSTS

Comments

  1. “Congratulations, Jane. You’re so cute , then (on the photo by the side of my sister) and now. It’s a wonderful sunny story. Uncle B.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Above comment is from Jane’s mother Juliet’s brother Bill. He could not post it on Jane’s blogs so I did it for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your golden anniversary post. Very meaningful! You have wonderful parents and a wonderful 50 years in the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it 45 years for you in USA?

      Delete
    2. Yes 45 going on 46 as of Sept 28. How time flies.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know about your original Seattle plans! Or about your dad's work with air planes ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment