My Weekend Assignment - Family Interview

Audio headphones icon - Transparent PNG & SVG vector fileListen to an interview of Jane's mother, Juliet, about her immigrant experience. Click here to start.

This interview project started as an class assignment for a local high school where I am a volunteer*. I support the teachers and students of the English Learners program (a.k.a. ELD). In our district, most of the ELD students are from Spanish-speaking countries**.

For the class assignment, students practice English skills by listening to an interview of a speaker responding to five questions about their personal immigration experience. Afterwards, students are quizzed on their comprehension. 

Over the weekend, I recorded an oral interview of my mom's words about her immigrant experience. Then I created an audiovisual presentation with color graphics. The listener gets control of when to start, pause, and resume the audio, so they can easily repeat audio segments.

For this learning project, I decided to be the voice actor for my mom. That is, I speak as if I am Mom, from a script I wrote with Mom.

NOTES:

* The Covid-19 pandemic has caused our local schools to close campuses since March, and districts are innovating to improve learning from home via internet. What I mainly do for the ELD program is create digital learning material: lecture slides with graphics, computer-based learning activities, and even crossword puzzles and word searches.

** In our education district, Mountain View Los Altos, most of the students in the ELD program are from Central America - Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras - as well as Mexico, Columbia, and Peru. There are a few from Iran, Japan, and Ukraine. 

Comments

  1. You create digital materials for the ELD program? That is so valuable, Jane! What a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, this was very interesting and touching. I like the photos that compliment the interview.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment