3Hares at Taipei (Day 1 of 8)

January 7, 2018 - Family Trip
Looking toward the commercial tower Taipei101.

I am writing this from my birthplace, the island country of Taiwan, and wan means island in Chinese. 

My actual birth city is located in south, Tainan, and nan means south in Chinese. 

The capital of Taiwan is Taipei, located in the north, and pei means north in Chinese. My family (husband and daughter) and I are spending one full week in the capital area.
Breaded fried pork rib chunks - Tonghua Night Market

My friend asked me "How does it emotionally feel to be back at your birthplace?" 

Honestly, I don't have a specific emotion about Taiwan as a birthplace, because I left when I was 4 years old - too young to have formed emotional bonds to the place. I made only one other brief trip 30 years ago as a college student.

However, having completing my first day on this second return trip with my family, I can say I love the place. I feel very comfortable and "at home." I easily understand the Mandarin spoken around me. I see faces like mine. And, I eat food that brings to me an emotional familiarity with the place. 

View from our Airbnb apartment  - Xinyi Anhe residential neighborhood

I am pleased with the changes to Taipei that I see since the trip of thirty years ago. Taipei has become modern and cosmopolitan, and it feels vibrant. Traffic is much more orderly, and there are plenty of English signs/menus and bilingual citizens. Taipei is socially progressive, for example, being LGBTQ friendly.

My husband has been twice to Shanghai for business. Comparing Shanghai and Taipei, he says both places are very modern. However, in public the people of Taiwan are much more friendly and polite. To a first time visitor, Shanghai can feel rude.
Pillow with sky blue glaze - Jun ceramic ware 12-13 century,
National Palace Museum

As a tourist, I have been speaking half Chinese and half English to communicate. My daughter is having a good time practicing the language. Unlike me, she speaks Chinese less fluently yet can read and write much more, so we work together to get around the city. 

Foreground, my easy on-off sneakers with dog print
(Sketchers brand, purchased in US).

More Posts
Previous Post - BORN IN TAIWAN
Next Post - NATIONAL PALACE MUSEUM (Day 2 of 8)

Comments

  1. I like that you and Lauren together understand Mandarin, written and spoken. Does Lauren also speak it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Test, but her vocabulary is limited. So, I do more of the talking.

      Delete
  2. You are a great writer Jane! You helped me feel like I was experiencing your trip/feelings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment