Estoy in México (day 2 of 27)

First Day in Mexico - September 2

I am so tired tonight. No sleep the night before while on the 11:30pm red-eye flight from San Francisco to Mexico City, then clearing immigration and baggage claim, and another 2 hour drive to Cuernavaca. I arrived at the final destination at 8:30am without any sleep. The chofer, Señor Partida, was super nice. As he spoke Spanish to me, he knew to enunciate words and pace his speech at just the right amount. 
View of neighborhood from hosts' property

Typical urban/suburban home - walled, gated, optional 
barbed wire, brightly colored house inside the compound.

The day got easier upon arrival at the house of the host or anfitrión. They are experienced at hosting guests that come for Spanish immersion. Breakfast or desayuno was similar to huevos rancheros in the US, and came with home-made chili verde salsa, using green tomatoes ... so good. With my stomach happy, my exhaustion overtook me and I submitted to a 5 hour siesta. I remember hearing fire-cracker explosions and barking dogs, from the raucous activity at the local fair or feria for the annual 10-day celebration of the Virgin Mary of Tlaltenango. Here is a sample of the food at the feria when I went later to check it out.

French Fries, Fried Bananas, Fried Plantains, Corndogs 

My favorite sighting - seasoned potato chips in a milk shake cup

Me despierté con mucho hambre. Yo y la familia, madre y padre y 2 hijos adultos, comimos la comida principal del día. I rose from the siesta very hungry, We ate the main meal of the day. El menu estuvo tacos y salad. They were not ordinary tacos! I put a tender flat-iron steak about the size of my hand on the soft shell, then chili verde salsaqueso fresco that had a texture like spongy firm tofu, avocado and sour cream. I ate four tacos and apologized for eating twice as much as everybody else.

Cuernavaca topography is hilly, like a small San Francisco. This is a typical calle (street). The purple and white car is a taxi. Uber also operates here.

Era son las 5 en la tarde. Decidí a hacer la compra. Necesito comida para snack en la noche, champu, y agua en botella. Caminé a la Superama supermercado, y regresé en taxi. I left the house after 5pm to walk to the Superama supermarket to shop for evening snack food, shampoo and bottled water. I took a taxi back to the homestay house. Here in Cuernavaca, you can negotiate the rate with the taxi driver. I offered him the change I had in my coinbag, $60 pesos or about $3.50 USD. The driver immediately accepted. At that moment I knew I offered a generous amount. Upon arrival at the house, I learned from the hostess that I paid about 50% too much.


Brightly colored houses are acceptable and the norm.
My neighbors would complain if my house had this paint job.


See-though gate & brightly colored house.

 

My favorite gate, classic iron work. A gated community.

MORE POSTS
Next post - Day 3 of 27 PRIMER DÍA DE CLASE
Previous post - Day1 of 27 UN GRAN VIAJE A MÉXICO

Comments

  1. That is so cool. Thanks for the detailed description! Do most people in the town you are staying at speak only Spanish? Are you having a hard time communicating? Or do you know enough words to get by? I bet you will pick up the local colloquialisms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The houses look like the one in Taiwan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy the pictures , the colors everywhere. Thank you for sharing !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment