Four Hares Motif

This post is dedicated to my art history friends who live in Savannah, Georgia, and teach at Savannah College of Art and Design.

The name of this blog is 4hares, for my family - we are four hares, 3 humans born in years of the rabbit (Chinese zodiac), and 1 canine that was adopted when our pet rabbit died passing its good fortune to the dog.
While searching for a suitable image to use with the name, I was amazed by how common the theme of 4 hares is throughout the world; although I am not sure what the significance was to each culture. I do think it is geometrically interesting. In all the pictures below, the hares run in clockwise direction. 

 Above, Basgo Gompa temple, Ladakh, India
Above, Initial ’D’[eus] Pontifica Manuscript, France
Above, Four hares and harebells - Jackie Morris

Here are my two takes on the 4 hares theme:
Pinwheel pattern of hares running counter-clockwise.
In the pinwheel examples above, the hares run clockwise.
Rubinesque mirrored pattern. Do you see 4 hares or a butterfly?

Challenge: create a 2x2 collage like those shown above. For me it went easier and faster than I expected. To do it, find a square image in jpeg or png format. Then load that image into a design software program to replicate and rotate the square image to form a 2x2 collage. I used the free design software picmonkey, but there are others like photos assistant (google), and choose the "Collage" feature. 

MORE POSTS
SILICON VALLEY MODERNISM

Comments

  1. Jane, I wonder why four hares?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomoko - see the post https://4hares.blogspot.com/2018/06/four-hares-motif.html.
    It explains why I chose the name 4hares for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ignore above url. I meant https://4hares.blogspot.com/p/about.html.

      Delete
  3. Why are four hares such a big deal around the world? What do they symoblize? Also, I didn't know rabbits/hares were native to all continents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4 hares, 4 seasons, May be 4 quarters, - parts of a whole, quite a concept with universal symbol/image. Makes you think, way to go Jane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK you for your thoughts, I like the 4 seasons!

      Delete

Post a Comment