We See a Glacier

I think that I am persistent and hardworking. Today, this belief was tested and bested by the hike to Garibaldi Lake, north of Vancouver, British Columbia. From Vancouver, the drive to the trailhead is about 1.5 hours north on highway 99 (to Whistler).


Magnificent Garibaldi Lake, with glaciers in background.

I was exhausted by the 11 mile (18 km) roundtrip hike over a 7.5 hour period, with 2400ft elevation gain. My feet hurt, my legs hurt, everything hurts. After the hike, we stopped at a local market to shop for pasta dinner food. My spouse ask me about my preference between two meats - ground beef or pork sausages. I immediately turned down the ground beef, because they reminded me of how my feet felt.


Two other hikers swim, while I sun myself

The no-nonsense and steep ascent on the well-graded trail was immediately strenuous. 5.5 miles to the destination; my excitement and adrenalin propelled me the first 2 miles. And, Mr. Spouse assisted me by carrying my bag of food and 3 bottles of water. 


Close-up of Sphinx Glacier. Note the tongue-shaped ice river on the left, and the massive ice mass on the upper right.

Before the half point of the route, the energy boost depleted as my initial excitement and adrenaline transitioned into cramping leg muscles. Mr. Spouse was doing a lot of waiting for me to catch up to him. Eventually, I told Mr.  Spouse to go on ahead of me. At least he should reach lake even if I could not. I had to slow my pace and rest frequently. Three times, I thought to quit and turn around. 


Photo of a flower I saw while resting

I said to myself that this was the most physically-demanding thing I have done since giving birth 19 hears ago. On the third time that I thought to quit, I met a young women on the trail who offered me water, and we started talking. Her name was Lydia, from Sweden, working as a barista in Vancouver and here in Canada on a 1-year working holiday visa - seriously, that's what it is called. Her company kept me going and I made it to the mountain pass. 


Woolly blossom of an alpine wildflower.
It looks like something from Dr. Seuss, The Lorax.

At the mountain pass, it had been 4.5 miles (of 5.5) of climbing. The hike now turned into a moderate ascent to the lake. I felt very hopeful. I spotted Mr. Spouse coming from the opposite direction. He had already reached the lake, viewed it briefly, and then turned around to find me. He reversed his direction to accompany me (and Lydia) to Garibaldi Lake. 

The scenery was amazing, and I felt humbled to be there. Mr. Spouse said that my persistence is was got me to the top. I felt accomplished.

Comments